Custom department classifies micro sd cards and mini sd cards. There are two different products which is used in cameras and mobile. These two products have different custom duty. Custom department gives classify with circular no. 12 dated 1-05-2012. Full circular is as under.
May 3, 2012
Custom classifies micro and mini SD cards
Circular No.12 / 2012 - Customs
F. No. 528/27/2010-CUS (TU)
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Excise & Customs
New Delhi, the 1st May, 2012.
All Chief Commissioners of Customs/ Customs (Prev.)/ C&CE,
All Directors General of CBEC,
All Commissioners of Customs / Customs (Prev.) / C&CE
All Commissioners of Customs & Central Excise (Appeals).
Subject: Classification of Micro / Mini SD Cards - regarding.
Doubts have been raised as regards the classification of Micro / Mini SD Cards in the Sub-heading 852351, which covers Semiconductor media, Solid – state non-volatile storage devices or the Sub-heading 852352, which applies to Semiconductor media, Smart cards. The matter was also deliberated upon in the Bangalore 2011 Conference of Chief Commissioners of Customs.
2. The correct classification of Micro / Mini SD Cards was examined in the Board and also deliberated in the 49th meeting of WCO’s Harmonized Systems Committee (HSC). The technical inputs received revealed that the product structure of Micro /Mini SD Cards can be divided into two broad categories: Category 1: where there is PCB in the same housing, and Category 2: where there is no PCB instead there is substrates like alumina substrate with IC mounted in the substrate and interconnects printed on substrate.
3. Reportedly, at the time when Note 4(a) to Chapter 85 was adopted the solid-state non-volatile storage cards included a traditional printed circuit board. SD card technology has since evolved and now uses “Chip on Board” substrate packaging (also known as System-in-Package or SIP) instead of traditional printed circuit board assembly packaging to provide the exact same SD functionality. The Current SD cards contain a substrate or support on which the components (flash memory, controller, passive elements) are mounted. Moreover, Note 5 to Chapter 85 defines printed circuits for the purposes of heading 8534 and the Explanatory Note thereto provides further insight that confirms that circuits are made by forming on an insulating base, by any printing process (conventional printing or embossing, plating-up,etching, etc.), conductor elements (wiring), contacts or other printed components such as inductances, resistors and capacitors (“passive” Elements), other than elements which can produce, rectify, detect, modulate or amplify electric signals, such as diodes, triodes or other “active” elements. In this regard the WCO’s HSC is of the opinion that a very broad definition of printed circuits was intended.
4. Micro / Mini SD Cards are manufactured using an etching process. The etching process is one of the processes specifically identified in the definition of “printed circuit” in Note 5 to Chapter 85. Thus, the substrates used fully comply with the definitions of printed circuits found in the Harmonized System and therefore, the substrate of Micro / Mini SD Cards qualifies as a printed circuit board for purposes of Note 4(a) to Chapter 85.
5. The issue of classification of Micro / Mini SD cards was also referred to the Department of Information Technology (DIT), Ministry of Communications & Information Technology. Technical inputs from this Ministry revealed that connecting pins can be treated as connecting sockets and the product covered in the aforesaid two broad categories remain solid-state non-volatile storage devices even when substrate is of alumina. This Ministry has also suggested classification of Micro / Mini SD Cards in Sub-heading 8523.51
6. In view of the aforesaid, Board is of the considered view that in case of Micro / Mini SD Cards wherein the PCB is substituted by substrates, then such substrates fully comply with the definitions of printed circuits found in the Harmonized System and the qualifies as a printed circuit board and connecting pins qualifies as connecting sockets for purposes of Note 4(a) to Chapter 85. As such, Micro / Mini SD Cards are correctly classified in Sub-heading 8523.51 as Semiconductor media, solid-state, non-volatile data storage devices by application of General Rules for Interpretation of Import Tariff (GRIs) 1 (Note 4(a) to Chapter 85) and 6.
7. The Board desires that the pending provisional assessment cases of Micro/ Mini SD Card imports may be finalised on the basis of above instructions. Difficulties, if any, in implementation, may be brought to the notice of the Board.
OSD (Customs), Tariff Unit,
POPULER This Month
RTGS and NEFT are the popular mode of payment now a days. It enables to pay or receive the sum very fast and cheaper too. So RTGS and NEF...
Tin.nsdl has launched latest version of return preparation utility RPU 2.1 and File validation utility FVU 5.6 e-Tds software and e-Tds/Tc...
Cash credit:- Cash Credit is the loan account taken by the customers from the bank. Cash credit is also called CC limit. In this account t...
Cash credit account holder needs to submit stock statement with the bank every month. There is a form of State Bank of India who have the ...
Deductions u/s 16 of the Act from the Income from Salaries 1- Entertainment Allowance [Section 16(ii)]: A deduction is also allowed un...
Tin.nsdl has launched latest version of RPU return preparation utility version 2.0 for regular and corrective e-tds statements from financ...
Cash credit account holder needs to submit stock statement every month to the bank. It is a declaration about stock in hand as on the day ...
Section 80DDB allows a deduction in case of employee, who is resident in India, during the previous year, of any amount actually paid for ...
Now a days the committee system is very famous. in this system the group of people collects their money every month and give it to one to ...
Receipts by members from H.U.F:- any sum received by an assessee in his capacity as a member of a H.U.F is exempt from tax to avoid double t...
Popular Posts All Time
We often need the forms for RTGS and NEFT. These forms are required for funds transfer through one bank account to another bank account. T...
Income tax department has issued a circular about tds on salary and all the aspects of income tax on salary, different circulars and notifi...
In now a days it's necessary to calculate all the things to get a good amount of money in hands. So calculator gives us a very easy t...
Income tax department changed the format of form 15g and 15h. These forms are the declaration as their income is less than threshold limit...
The Finance Ministry today asked taxpayers to file their Income Tax returns for 2015-16 early to avoid the rush towards the last date of A...
In a step that would bring delight to taxpayers, the Income Tax department has put in motion a new plan which will ensure that any refund ...
Income tax law provides that tax deduction at source (TDS) will be deducted on salary on receipt basis. That means income tax will be dedu...
It is high time to give form 15G and 15H of income tax to the deductor of TDS on your deposit. Form 15G and 15H are the declaration to th...