Service tax department has issued general rules of service tax on point of taxation. There is always a confusion as when and at what point the service tax should be deducted. So service tax clarifies with the rules with a circular no 154 dated 28-03-2012 about point of taxation rules. Full circular is as under.
Circular No.154/5/ 2012 – ST
FNo 334/1/2012- TRU
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Excise and Customs
Tax Research Unit
Room No 146, North Block, New Delhi
Dated: 28th March 2012
Chief Commissioner of Customs and Central Excise (All)
Chief Commissioner of Central Excise & Service Tax (All)
Director General of Service Tax
Director General of Central Excise Intelligence
Director General of Audit
Commissioner of Customs and Central Excise (All)
Commissioner of Central Excise and Service Tax (All)
Commissioner of Service Tax (All)
Subject: - Clarification on Point of Taxation Rules - regarding.
1. Notification No.4/2012 - Service Tax dated the 17th March 2012 has amended the Point of Taxation Rules 2011 w.e.f. 1st April 2012, inter- alia, amending Rule 7 which applied to individuals or proprietary firms or partnership firms providing taxable services referred to in sub-clauses (g), (p), (q), (s), (t), (u), (za) and (zzzzm) of clause (105) of section 65 of the Finance Act, 1994. Rule 7 determined the point of taxation in such cases as the date of receipt of payment. The provisions have been amended both in the Point of Taxation Rules 2011 and the Service Tax Rules 1994 such that from 1st April 2012 the payment of tax shall be allowed to be deferred till the receipt of payment upto a value of Rs 50 lakhs of taxable services. The facility has been granted to all individuals and partnership firms, irrespective of the description of service, whose turnover of taxable services is fifty lakh rupees or less in the previous financial year.
2. Representations have been received, in respect of the specified eight services, requesting clarification on determination of point of taxation in respect of invoices issued on or before 31st March 2012 where the payment has not been received before 1st April 2012.
3. The issue has been examined. For invoices issued on or before 31st March 2012, the point of taxation shall continue to be governed by the Rule 7 as it stands till the said date. Thus in respect of invoices issued on or before 31st March 2012 the point of taxation shall be the date of payment.
4. Trade Notice/Public Notice may be issued to the field formations accordingly.
5. Please acknowledge the receipt of this circular. Hindi version to follow.
Tags-Indian service tax,service tax in India,service tax rules,point of taxation in service tax,service tax point of taxation,circular no. 154 service tax,service tax circular no 154