CIR/MRD/DP/ 37 /2010 December 14, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam,
Sub: Acceptance of third party address as correspondence address
1. SEBI has received representations from Market Intermediaries seeking
guidance and clarifications whether to accept and capture the address of
some person (hereinafter referred to as “third party”) other than the beneficial
owner(BO) as a correspondence address in the details of the demat account
of the BO.
2. In this regard, it is stated that SEBI has no objection to a BO authorizing the
capture of an address of a third party as a correspondence address, provided
that the Depository Participant (DP) ensures that all prescribed ‘Know Your
Client’ norms are fulfilled for the third party also. The DP shall obtain proof of
identity and proof of address for the third party. The DP shall also ensure that
customer due diligence norms as specified in Rule 9 of Prevention of Money
Laundering Rules, 2005 are complied with in respect of the third party.
3. The depository participant should further ensure that the statement of
transactions and holding are sent to the BO’s permanent address at least
once in a year.
4. However, the above provision shall not apply in case of PMS (Portfolio
Management Services) clients as informed earlier vide letter no. IMD/ MT/
165502/ 2009 dated June 05, 2009.
5. The Depositories are advised to:
5.1. make necessary amendments, if required, to the relevant byelaws/ rules
and regulations/circulars for the implementation of the above decision
5.2. bring the provisions of this circular to the notice of all the Depository
Participants and same may also be disseminated on the website.
6. This circular shall come into force from the date of its issue.
7. This circular is being issued in exercise of powers conferred under Section 11
(1) of the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992 read with Section
19 of the Depositories Act, 1996 to protect the interests of investors in
securities and to promote the development of, and to regulate the securities
This circular is available on SEBI website