The Finance Ministry has extended service tax exemption to five more export promotion councils (EPCs). With this move, the total number of EPCs that could avail themselves of service tax exemption has gone up to 27 across the country. Budget 2009-10 had provided exemption on the service tax leviable under “club or association services” for 22 specified EPCs. However, this benefit was available only for the period up to March 31, 2010.
Even for the latest addition of five EPCs, the service tax exemption will be available only up to March 31, 2010, informed sources said.
The five councils are as follows:-
- Electronics and Computer Software Export Promotion Council
- Indian Oil Seeds and Produce Exporters Association (export promotion council)
- Services Export Promotion Council
- Jute Manufacturers Development Council
- Wool Industry Export Promotion Council.